Serial rapist arrested on fresh charges


Mlamleli Mpofu of Glen View, who reportedly threatened his victims with an air gun and a hand axe last year, used the same trick to rape three women in Marimba recently.

Mpofu was last year released on bail after he was arrested on suspicion of raping 12 women in Glen View.

On each occasion, the accused would allegedly threaten to kill the complainants with an axe.

Harare provincial police spokesperson Inspector James Sabau said Mpofu was arrested last week after he had gone to fulfil one of his bail conditions — reporting to Marimba Police Station every Friday.

He said Mpofu allegedly terrorised the residents of Marimba, Mufakose and Kuwadzana.

Among the fresh charges, it is alleged that Mpofu on June 21 this year at around 6pm, armed himself with an axe and approached a 22-year-old woman who was in the company of her boyfriend at the Marimba footbridge.

He threatened to kill the two, but the boyfriend managed to escape leaving his girlfriend who was force marched into a nearby bush and raped five times.

On the evening of July 4, Mpofu is said to have met another 22-year-old woman walking with her husband along Mkonono Road in Mufakose.

He again threatened to kill the two with an axe, but the husband managed to run away leaving his wife who was later raped twice by the accused.

On the third occasion, Mpofu who was holding an axe allegedly confronted a 19-year-old woman who was in the company of her husband at the Marimba footbridge.

The husband ran away and the accused dragged the wife into the bush and raped her four times.

Police officers at Marimba Police Station made an analysis of these crimes, compared them with the Glen View incidents and realised that they were committed using the same method. Marimba police arrested and interrogated Mpofu last Friday while he had gone to report at the police station and found an axe, two wooden masks and three cellphones at Mpofu’s house in Glen View.

The complainants positively identified Mpofu as their assailant.

He is set to appear in court this week.